Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Friday, December 7, 2012

Hopalong To Peril

If you're one to peruse the DCM, you'll no doubt note that it's a virtual treasure-trove of DID goodies, from an era when comics were totally unregulated by the government...mainly the early 1930's to the mid1950's. I won't get into details on that, as it would take way too long to write, let alone explain. The main problem with any on-line comic archive is that, one is at the mercy of the source itself and who scanned it in. Below are some examples of restored micro-fiche pages from one of the HOPALONG CASSIDY stories, as found in one of the many Master Comics books. I'm not sure exactly which one as this is a compilation, of sorts of just the character's stories. At any rate, I don't use any type of "photoshop" programmes, only what came with my Mac...so I'm pretty much limited to how I can improve the scans. The majority of fiche scans are blurry, dark and highly over-contrasted and it take time to fix them, if that is even possible. In most cases it isn't. But every now and then, I have a bit of success, if only to make the pages more readable...have a look at what happens to poor Betty, as she's left trussed up in a canyon, about to be trampled by stampeding cattle!
In addition to blurry pages, I've also had to deal with faded and yellowed images...some which are easier to "restore" than others. It's an on-going project...

1 comment:

Captain Kidnap said...

Love the drawing of Betty being carried, wearing one shoe.