Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Jane Drake In Peril


Normally I'd start with the first story I'd find in introducing a character but, I decided on this one for the opener. Meet Jane Drake, Detective. To the best of my knowledge, Jane appeared in the pages of Crash Comics starting in May of 1940. The story featured here is from Crash Comics #2 (Holyoke Publishing, June 1940.)

Although she's titled as a detective, Nancy Drew fans will note the similarities in her age (never revealed though I'm guessing 15 or 16, as Nancy was in her early stories...) and snooping ways. Unlike Nancy, Jane goes looking for trouble...she was way more head-strong. Her father, Shelton Drake, is a prominent D.A. (which is what Nancy's father was early in his career.) The big difference here is that Jane can't help but get involved in her father's criminal cases, especially when she disobeys him (which she does in just...about...every...story.) Jane usually forced her next door neighbour and friend, Jerry King, into her crime-fighting schemes. Both are usually captured or kidnapped in these four and five-pagers, so the action is quick and brief. I only have a handful of these stories and am looking for more but, I will be posting them all as I rebuild my poor scans.

The story here is all from microfiche but still readable. In it, Jane and Jerry are kidnapped, strong-armed and blindfolded into a waiting car. After Jane is forced to write a ransom note to her father, Jerry is taken back to deliver the message but, he manages to escape and Jane is soon rescued.





No comments: