Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Jane Arden Returns


When I first posted about Jane Arden, I didn't hold out much hope of finding anything to add to my collection, aside from "un-DID" related strips. But, fellow blogger, Marc, pointed me to an area of the DCM I had previously over-looked. Thanks, Marc! I've culled together bits from the only two issues St. Johns Publishing did, back in 1948. From what I observed and concluded when I read these, is that they are basically reprinted Sundays but heavily cropped for space. Some of the pages have as many as 15 panels per page! The cropped out word balloons and art are readily noticeable. Too bad. Issue #1 (the above detail panel and first page below) was issued in March of 1948, while issue #2 was released in June of the same year. The DCM lists #2 as the final issue but, the Jane Arden strip had a long run of reprints in the Famous Funnies comics. I've done quite a bit of restorative work on the scans I found at the DCM, including the two covers. It is issue #2 that was brought to my attention. Upon reading it I have to agree with Marc about the realistic gagging of Jane. Very convincing as you will see, especially in the huge set of detail panels I made. Enjoy!

Jane & Honey Chile thwart the crook

Cover for issue #1

Below is the cover and a complete sequence for Jane's capture in issue #2. I started here with Jane obtaining a disguise up until the point at which Tubby finds her and sets her free. Bonus detail panels at the end ;)

;












2 comments:

Marc said...

You're welcome again :)

Captain Kidnap said...

Love the cleave-gag. :)