Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Friday, June 27, 2014

Nancy Drew Cover Perils Pt. 4 Unknown Assailants 1

I'd have to say that the majority of Nancy Drew's assailants were unknown to her, at least at first. Her head had a real bad habit of attracting "blunt force trauma", from pistol whipping and improvised clubs, to falling rocks and even dropped flower pots! She also attracted a lot of chloroform. In fact, she seemed to be a magnet/sponge for it. The covers here (I have twenty of them but am posting ten each at a time), allude to Nancy either being chased by an unseen enemy, or an "warning" attack. This only adds to the drama within the book itself. Often I'd find myself reading the story and waiting for the scene to come along...

Book #58 has various cover but this is among my favourites. The story itself involves "UFOs" and has a  very surreal dream sequence that both Ned and Nancy suffer, do to the effects of "swamp gas".










5 comments:

jimbor said...

Great selection of images .
Thank you for posting
I find that " The Clue in the Ancient Disguise" , "The Silver Cobweb" and"The Haunted Carousel" are my fave cover images . Tthe Blue Beard Room " gets an honorable mention.

Subby said...

The Bluebeard Room has some pretty tense moments ;) The Ancient Disguise is one of my fave set-ups; the villain lurking in the background...unseen...

jimbor said...

I agree with you about "the Clue in the Ancient Disguise. .The setting ( the cluttered attic ) and set up ( a villain emerging from a cabinet as Nancy , unaware studies the "Ancient disguise ) are classic . I have not found a copy of"The Blue beard Room " yet . Is it good ? ( spoilers are ok)

Subby said...

In the Bluebeard Room there are a couple of tense moments but no bondage or knock-outs for Nan. There is a point at where she and Ned scuba in an underwater cavern to get to the hidden room. A description is given of how Nan strips down to her bikini and out of her dripping wetsuit :D

This is one of the few books where there are no real peril set-ups :[

jimbor said...

I see.
Too bad that there is no Bondage or "KO"'s in this book ,but I have to say that the scene you describe of Nan peeling off her dripping wetsuit to carry on with her investigation, clad only in her bikini goes some way to making up for that lack .
I must also add "Lucky Ned" to have a ringside seat for that scene.
Thank you for the info.