Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

ND The Winged Lion Returns

Many thanks once again to JIPE77. He was able to provide a scan for the key illustration in the French version of the Nancy Drew book, Mystery of the Winged Lion or Alice à Venise in French. To see a short review of the American edition with all the illustrations, you can go HERE.

The illustration here depicts Nancy un-gagging herself after getting free from her fetters. You'll note that Marion (George) and Bess are wearing OTM gags in the French version (in the English version the trio are cleave-gagged.) Also the girls elbows are tightly tied! This scene also plays to the girls awakening after being moved from one dark room to another, after they'd been knocked out as they slept. The reader can guess the knock-out method used. And thanks to JIMBOR for refreshing my memory on this. I've updated the other post review to reflect this scene.

I made some adjustments to the image you see here (de-yellowed, contrasted and straightened it up a bit and compressed the info in the file.) The artist for this illustration is Jean-Louis Mercier.

6 comments:

jimbor said...

Pleased I could be helpful

Subby said...

It's greatly appreciated, jimbor & thanks again for jogging my memory ;)

jimbor said...

It was my pleasure
And for the record I think your Nancy Drew project is a real work of scholar ship

Subby said...

Many thanks, Jimbor :) But as the saying goes "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" Thanks also goes out to JIPE77 for supplying the ND French illustrations :D

jimbor said...

Keen to see what more you have to share with us . I enjoy your reviews/descriptions of the pictures and scenes from the Nancy Drew books
And I agree that we are very lucky to have JIPE77 "on line" with us to share the excellent illustrations of the French additions.

Subby said...

I have both runs of the old ND series, complete in volumes only. I don't have every art-change cover that came along. Wanderer stopped the illustrations probably to save money (or after Paul Frame died, is my guess.) Paul used to illustrate the TRIXIE BELDEN books and did a lot of ND as well. And though there were a handful of others, Paul was the best IMHO.

Eventually, I'll be posting all the DID-related covers for the main ND series. Now all I have to do is find a source for the British, Australian & Norwegian books...

I keep JIPE77 updated ;)