Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Monday, February 23, 2015

Mary's Carnival Peril


Here's yet another Mary Marvel tale full of peril and mayhem. Culled and partially restored from Marvel Family #7 (Fawcett~December, 1946). At the end is a bonus of sorts of the first page in it's original scan form and, what I did to try to bring the page back to life, as it were. Mind you all, I possess no Abobe or Photoshop programmes or skills; I just use what my ol' Mac Mini came with. But first, the story, itself...









...and here's the only other detail panel I was able to bring out from these small scans. I only wish they were better *SIGH*...



...below is a sequence of seven scans of the first page of the above story. You can see that the original scan was quite crooked. As I don't have a fine tuner for angles, just a basic one, I had to make do with what I had.


The lower right corner is cut off, prompting me to "rebuild it" out of nothing. To do this, I had to "create" a new border. With a bit of "copy-paste" magic, I was able to do so. I also "created" a new corner using a sample from the panel to the left. It doesn't always come out perfect but at least close enough, in this case.


I then crop the whole thing before I run it through my iPhoto programme...


The iPhoto programme also lets me correct the angle on the picture. With the new added border, I no longer have to worry about cutting off the edge of the panel. I do my final cropping at this stage.


Now that the page is straighter, I can continue. Next, I "de-blur" the image as best I can. Some of the pages I've come across are actually worse than this one! In this case, I had to use two layers to get the page to this point, while still making it readable.


Once I'm satisfied with the focus, I go on to the re-colouring phase. This usually involves changing the temperature (or the blue and red hues). This works well (i most cases) for getting rid of the "yellowing" of the pages. Here, I'll also adjust the brightness and contrast.


The last step is to put back some of the colour lost. A moderate adjustment to boost the colours is usually all that's required.


And there you have it! Of course, I could probably make these a hell of a lot better if I had better programmes and the ability to learn them, heh...

2 comments:

Captain Kidnap said...

Hello, Subby! Just to let you know my blog has a new url:

https://damselcatcher.wordpress.com/

Could I ask you to update your link to my site? Thanks in advance. I've linked you back, of course.

Subby said...

No problem, Cap'n! Will do that ASAP ;)