Welcome to the DPL...

Welcome to the Damsel Preservation League or "DPL" for short. Contained herein, you'll find a multitude of damsels of all ages worthy of preservation, as well as many links to current artists & writers of the DID genre, and many old-school favourites. Although this is basically a research type blog, there may be some occasional "mature" themed comics so, beware of this. Also this blog & is moderated to keep the spam to a minimum. The majority of the images are ones I've personally "rebuilt" from either my own collection or scans found elsewhere on the 'net. Any applicable copyrights belong to the owners and I make no money from them. Also note that this blog is still a work in progress and will be added to as I continue along...

Monday, February 13, 2017

Sci-Fi Peril For Cynthia


AUTHOR'S NOTE: Here begins my foray into the reconstruction of every Damsel In Distress scene from most of the 53 issues of Startling Comics. My collection is about 90% completed. Most scans were sourced from the DCM, though not every issue was available. And I only sourced the actual "paper" pages instead of the micro-fiche ones. At some point, I hope to have all the scenes in my collection. Startling Comics ran from June, 1940 to September, 1948. To read the full comics that are available, just blip on over to the DCM.

WARNING! ENTERING FULL, SCI-FI NERD MODE! CUE UP THE B-52'S "IS THAT YOU MODEAN?" FOR BACKGROUND MUSIC!

I've run across some rather interesting sci-fi tales in the comics but...this one was kind of really...out there. No pun intended. Met Cynthia, niece of the mysterious "Doctor X", not your normal mad scientist (is there really such a person?) Dr. X, it would seem, has developed a way to travel through space via hypnosis(!), "astral projection"(!!) and a "gamma beam"(!!!). It's a kind of an early version of a tele-porter (I think). At any rate, this is the first tale I came across in Startling Comics #1 (Better Publications, Inc. under Standard~June 1940). Dr. X even utilizes one honking' big telly screen to view all the distant action via the ability to home in on Cynthia's brain wave patterns (thus the ability to "see" things through her eyes). Yeah. Okaaaaaaay. Got all that? He soon convinces Cynthia's fiancé, Bob Stone, to go to her aid when she gets into a spot of trouble. Cynthia is hypnotized nearly the entire time all the action is taking place and doesn't realise her predicament until awoken, tied to a sacrificial altar! She's rescued in the nick of time, of course. Unfortunately, I've only found one other tale with these characters, which is a shame since I really liked reading them. But, so many comic book characters of the 1940's had a sort life-span. I've upgraded the pages for this and made detail panels from the small scans. Read on...









Here are some of the better panels...





No comments: